Did you know…
- It takes on average 5 seconds to send a text message while driving. At 55 mph, that’s like driving the length of a football field without looking at the road. A disaster in the making.
- 77% of young adults are very or somewhat confident that they can safely text while driving.
- 55% of young adults claim it’s easy to text while driving.
- Distracted driving is an epidemic that needs to be stopped. Eight people a day in our country die in crashes related to distracted driving and many of them are young folks.
- In North Carolina, it is illegal for drivers under the age of 18 and all school bus drivers to use a cell phone in any manner while driving. Over the age of 18, texting is banned for all drivers.
- In South Carolina, it is illegal to text and drive. No other laws are currently on the books regarding cell phone usage while driving.
Please visit our blog on this website for more information you can share with your own young drivers to help keep them safe. You’ll learn about a effort we’ve undertaken to educate our kids about this danger – and how you can help. Then, ‘like’ our Facebook page to get updates on this and other topics that may be useful to you and your family.